Thursday, January 06, 2005

i can smell the snow from down here

when i first moved, i thought that southern california was the perfect match for me. i am always cold. san diego is always warm...right? wrong. for the past couple of months, my initial infatuation with the weather has been shattered. it is downright cold. my husband, josh doesn't think its a big deal. he says, "think of it this way: we have the best of everything. we're 45 minutes away from snow, (in a little mountain town called julian, where he is working today) 45 minutes away from the beach, 45 minutes away from mexico, and...well, an hour and 45 minutes away from disneyland!" i agree that it sounds great when you put it that way, but when you're living in a little condo with a heater that simply won't turn on, it doesn't feel so grand. my hot water bottle has become my new best friend. (and there just seems something ridiculous about scraping frost off of my windshield when there's a giant palm tree just across the street from me.)

back home, i didn't mind the cold so much, probably because of the wonderful anticipation of snow that came with it. in fact, i hear that its snowing there right at this very moment! i admit, i am a bit pathetic--i have my home page set to tell me the weather in abbotsford. and i would be lying if i said i didn't feel a twinge of jealousy when i saw that. but then, of course, my jealousy was replaced with happiness for all of you who get to watch it pile up and pray for a snow day. to those of you who are like myself and have never really gotten over the childish delight of seeing white flakes fall from heaven, making everything look so clean and dreamy, please make a snow angel, just for me

~heidi


No comments: