Monday, April 18, 2011

napless issues

i have a question for all of my mommy-blog readers out there: how old were your kids when they stopped taking naps? i'm sort of hoping that many of you will say "right around 2 years old" because then i can stop pulling my hair out and throw in the towel on this whole nap thing all together.

samuel has always been a great napper....until recently. as in about a month ago. at first i just thought it was the time change throwing everything off because his bedtime became a battle as well. then i blamed it on removing the rocking chair from his room (which i had used up until that point to get him drowsy before laying him down), but now its gotten so bad that i think he may just not be tired enough to want to nap anymore. is this possible at 23 months old? often he'll be awake in his crib for over an hour before finally falling asleep, only to awaken 30-45 minutes later seemingly refreshed. not long ago i'd have to wake up him after 2 hours of sleep in order to preserve his bedtime!

tristan gave up his nap just before he turned 3, which i thought was awfully early at the time. i can remember having 2 daily battles of getting him down for his nap and getting him down for bed, then once we lost the nap, bedtime became super simple because he was so exhausted and we were down to no battles at all, which was just heavenly. yet i don't want to do that to my baby if he isn't quite ready yet. not to mention the fact that i'd lose my precious 2 hours of "me & tristan time", which would disappoint us both.

as i'm typing this, i can hear him partying it up in his crib through the monitor...and its been an hour since i put him down. i think i'll just leave him in there for another hour and see what happens. advice appreciated!

13 comments:

Jenn G. said...

My kids have taken naps up to 3-4 years. Lanae, almost 3, still sleeps a couple of hours in the afternoon but if we happen to miss it because we are out having too much fun its not a big deal. I have always stuck to having a regular "quiet time" during the week for 1.5 hours after lunch for all my kids. (Boys are off at school now) Quiet time helps me keep my sanity, even if they don't rest they read books quietly in their rooms and sometimes even Aleah (5) will take a nap.

Cherie said...

partying it up? sounds like his auntie:):) ahha

rachel joy said...

Max quit right at three, and Marty wasn't reliable after about 2. Jax is now 28 months and I'm beginning to think the end is near. He's a grump and falls asleep naturally in the late afternoon, but then he's wide awake still at 9pm. It's still convenient for me that he naps pretty much every day, but I'm realizing it may not last much longer. My older boys still nap if they're overtired, either just in the van or we enforce it at home if their behaviour indicates it's necessary. :)

Anika Lacerte | The Handcrafted Story said...

No, no, no, I really don't want to think about no naps. Naomi (17 months) is recently down to one nap, and I really am not ready to even think about a time when there will be no naps. If I have to think about it, I do think that "quiet" times will be the name of the game. She doesn't have to sleep, but she does have to be in her room, somewhat quiet. Sigh.

Laesa said...

Hi, Heidi! You know, every kid is so different. Like Tristan, Brenna took naps until a bit before she was 3, but Laesa's already taking a shorter nap than Brenna ever did, so I have the feeling that she'll be done somewhere between 2 and 3 years old. If Samuel is happy in his crib, though, then there's nothing wrong with letting him play in there for a while - then everyone gets a bit of down time! Sometimes, just the alone time can be like a rest - for Samuel and for you! ;) Jeanette

villagegirl said...

I think it's pretty standard for most kids to stop napping between 2 and 3. There are a couple I know of that stopped MUCH sooner and some who are 5+ and still do! It's hard to give up the nap. I made my oldest nap until he was 3 as I had a newborn and needed my sanity! But he probably would have stopped at 2 1/2. My second stopped just shy of 2 1/2 but would still fall asleep in the car if we were driving around that time.
I would definitely introduce 'quiet time'! I still do it sometimes now and they are 7 and 5.
I'm sorry sleeping is such a struggle. Ugh! That's the worst! I hope it all evens out soon!

sedachfamily said...

Heidi, we quit naps at our house between 3 & 4, but I definitely think each kid is different. We actually stopped naps with Molly at 2 for a short time when she was having a similar experience and then a few months later she would just start falling asleep midday and naps were back again! So, as much as it's so hard to struggle with now, I'm sure it'll work itself out. Is he getting his molars? I'll be prayin for little Samuel and you!

Becky said...

Charlotte's the same age as Samuel and rarely naps now. If she does, it's because she's fallen asleep on the ride home from the park or during a car ride. I do put her in her bed after lunch though for quiet time. I just fill her bed with toys and give myself that much needed break. it sure does make bed time easy though, because now she goes down around 630 and doesn't get up til 7.

Julie said...

My first was about three and my second still desperately needs them and shes 4 and a half. I was just going to do a blog post for the opposite problem as yours! When will she grow out of needing naps?! Shes a wreck if she misses them and it throws off her night time sleeping if she DOESNT take it. Shes also ready for bed by 5 which is way to early to go to sleep. Last night I DID put her to bed at 6 because of a napless day. I just couldnt take the emotions anymore. It will be so nice if she didnt desperately need the nap... My third however is two and she does fine if she doesnt take one and sometimes just hangs out in her crib for about an hour like Samuel. If you still like the Tristan time (I do school with my first during naps so like it when my two year old is in her room) just lay him down for awhile even if he doesnt sleep. Especially if hes not fussing.

Claire said...

Josiah quite napping right after he turned 2. However he'd still catch the odd nap every third or fourth day or in the car just to catch up. But it took so much stress out of nap time and so much stress out of bed time. For a couple months we didn't leave the house after supper though because he was SO cranky. Every kid is different, and you're a smart mom, you'll figure out the right thing!

Claire said...

*quit* not quite. oops

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

My daughter stopped napping at six weeks. Seriously. My son, at age 31, still takes naps.
Each child is different.
The real question is do you still need naps so you can be conscious with hubby at night. If so, the kids get quiet time so YOU can get in a daytime doze.

ⒿⒶⓃⓔⓉ said...

both my boys took naps until they started school. so, i am not much help.