Tuesday, June 20, 2006

my baby is the size of a plum

just a quick post before i rush over to my in-law's to tape the england vs. some other team world cup game for my husband.

the burn that had turned into a lovely tan has now turned into a not-so-lovely shedding of skin. i'ts as if my entire chest and belly is one giant peel-off mask. i'm trying to resist the temptaion to pick, but it's really hard when there are actually sheets of skin just hanging off of me. yeah, it's pretty gross and i would take a picture, but i don't think any picture of my chest or belly would be appropriate to post on the internet.

speaking of bellies, i got some great wife-beaters at target that are super long so that i can layer them under my clothes when my belly gets big so it doesn't peek out. i also love wearing them now cuz they're not so tight as my other clothes. josh and i had a fun father's day together. i bought him a tiny san diego padres jersey...had wanted to get "Stew" printed on the back, but ran out of time. we had a fancy lunch at costco while getting over 200 digital pictures developed FINALLY and went shopping.

re. your questions about the ultrasound, this early on, i'm pretty sure that the baby is so small that an external ultrasound wouldn't pick up the baby's heartbeat. (anyone, correct me if i'm wrong on this) i also think it's easier to detect and see the baby, since he's so small right now. it really wasn't that bad, the instrument they used was no bigger than a tampon, plus i didn't have to have a full bladder, which was nice. i certainly feel different about our baby since seeing him on thursday. it's also nice to know how many we have, that he's in the right place, etc. takes a lot of worries away. i will continue to call the baby a "he" until we find out the gender. i figure it's nicer to call it a he and find out it's a girl, than to call it a "she" and then find out it's a boy, don't you agree? i do have a strong gut feeling about whether it's a girl or a boy, except i'm not telling.

i get to watch josh play baseball tonight. and i get to wash my car today...without a white shirt on :) better get going. 11 week picture to be posted soon...

15 comments:

Lee said...

you spell plum like thumb. is that americano too?

heidi said...

umm.. no, it's heidiano. i think i'll fix it cuz now it'll bug me. thanks a lot.

Shannon said...

So glad you got to see your happy healthy plum!

(I only asked because normally *here* they dont do those, mainly for insurance reasons I think)

Meredith said...

I remember when my kids were the size of an avocado and I called them that.
Umm.. and as for a correction they can find the heart beat at 8 weeks with an ultrasound here (or at least they did with Gabriel) and my Doc found it with the doppler machine in her office at 10weeks 5days with Michael. Having said that I really like the not full bladder idea.

Hotshot's Wife said...

Those intravaginal ultrasounds are very nice! I have had a few of those with the infertility stuff and they aren't that bad at all. I have had a few of the "hold your pee" ultrasounds and that was painful to hold pee for that long.
Glad to hear all is going well you little Plum!!

Jennifer said...

still feeling left out of the club on the intravag ultra sound thing...I had it the painful don't pee for hours way all the times.

Jennifer said...

oh and by the way, Marc's back is the same today...he won't lay still and let me deflake him...silly man...could be hours of fun for me there!

L&D said...

According to my nursing textbook, external ultrasounds can detect a fetal heart beat as early as 5 weeks. That's my two bits.

Janice said...

haha i say go with the peeling! it's a great stress reliever. it's just so nice to watch it all come off. like a cleansing.

i get burned a lot (aiming for skin cancer by thirty) so i peel a lot too. it's fun! give in to the peel! it's better to peel it off when it's still "wet" as opposed to when it dries and clogs up your new skin and gets all over your shirts. i know, i resisted once and it wasn't pretty...

anyways. all i'm saying. peel.

and if i ever have a kid, as a placeholder name i'm going to call it one of the many strange word verifications i have received from blogger.

Shannon said...

yeah, I got a tiny burn on my shoulder and a week later Ellie came up to me and goes
"would you like me to pick that for you mommy?"
It is tempting at any age!

Cherie said...

hey sis... just wanted to say hi... i think im still in shock that your pregnant... its too crazy... i was a week early when i asked you in Scotland.. sigh... too bad... hhaha anyway... love yoU!

Shannon said...

re-read and caught the white shirt comment. LOL!

though I bet they'd look quite baywatch'ish.

Jennifer said...

you can take it from me Shannon they do...and there are unbloggable pictures to prouve it!

heidi said...

oh yes, the unfortunate beach incident where i didn't realize that my bikini was too small for a pregnant woman until we were already AT the beach..."oh marc! take a picture of us!" oops. those pictures have now been deleted except for a fun one where jennifer's knee happens to be in the way of my exposure. good times :)

Jennifer said...

poor guy...wonder why he didn't speak up?