Monday, June 26, 2006

you know it's gonna be a hot one when...

...the thermometer says that's it's 80 degrees at 6:00 in the morning. (that's 27 degrees in canadian) i couldn't sleep with the fans just churning the same stale air at me, so i thought i'd get up and make myself a breakfast shake and do a bit of bloggage. the shake, by the way, was a bad idea. who knew that pina colada yogurt would be one of those things my stomach would refuse? ah well, there's always dry toast.

i know i promised an 11 week picture by now, but with both josh and i working all weekend, it just didn't pan out. i attempted to take a picture of myself in the mirror a la kristal, but while she managed to look elegantly natural, i look more like a bloated deer caught in the headlights. i think i'll just wait until next weekend when i'll be 12 weeks along, which is more of a milestone anyhow. i'm hoping and praying that on that day my nausea will magically disappear like so many pregnancy books claim it will. my baby is now the size of a large lime. the part i'm looking forward to the most right now is feeling the baby move!

did i mention that we got nearly an entire year's worth of photos developed from out digital camera? i'm trying not to let the sheer volume of them frighten me into putting off the task of organizing them into photo albums. that is the big number one on my to-do list for today. sprinkled amongst my other household to-do tasks are a few fun ones, like call leah and read the novel i just picked up from my latest favourite author. rarely is a gem of a book found just by chance. usually they are found through recommendation, or at least by reading the back cover. "when crickets cry" was picked up off of our overstock shelf at work and opened simply because the title appealed to me. the first sentence beckoned me to continue. by the end of the first chapter, i had tears is my eyes. i literally felt as thought a little girl with yellow ribbons in her hair had offered me an ice cold cup of lemonade and allowed me to sit and watch as the drama in her life unfolded. charles martin is not your typical christian fiction author. and i think that is a good thing. he is unafraid of using words and descriptions one may find graphic, though not a "dekker" type of graphic; he is only being real. not only does he have an amazing gift for words, he is also very friendly. he personally emailed a reply to my comment on his website within a day. "wrapped in rain" is the title of the book i'm currently reading and, only a quarter of the way through, i'm already fully in love with the characters and can't wait to dive back into the pages.

okay, pina colada yogurt still wreaking havoc. must visit toilet. later.

8 comments:

Lee said...

oh, I am sorry u feel putrid. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Shannon said...

yes. I hope it magically goes away for you too.

Most of the time it does :O)

Jennifer said...

it was only 76 at 10 am here (but we went to the river in the afternoon)...come get out of the ca heat

Unknown said...

HaHa! Bloated Deer.

jennifer said...

i feel your pain re hoping the nausea will magically disappear! i'm about as far along as you - due date is 13 january - found your blog through darla. if you find the magic bullet to cure the pregnancy pukies, please share!!

Jeff, Kristy, Hayley & Katelyn said...

Hi Heidi, I pray you don't feel sick for 5 months like I did. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy :( Here's a couple things that helped me: organic ginger ale, as well as constantly snacking on things. I found that if I kept something in my tummy, it had a tendancy not to be as upset with me:) I hope you feel your baby soon, it's such a wonderful feeling!

Marion McCready said...

heidi and jellybean - anything with ginger in it is great for nausea, I always carried ginger sweets with me. At that stage all I could face was soup and toast but eating a little often made a big difference. I also found that a drink of hot or cold water with a slice of lemon helped - but then I've just been mad on lemons all throughout this pregnancy!

Kathy said...

Whenever feeling better comes - it's fabulous!!

I just finished 'When Crickets Cry'. Lemonade please. I love your recommendations - can we use them?? Looking forward to reading 'Wrapped in Rain'. Very insightful author - a real people person.

Blessings,
Kathy