Sunday, August 09, 2009
"monkey george" and other random things
* my brain seems to function best in point form lately, so here we go again!
* the other day, tristan and i were heading upstairs so that he could take his nap. at the top of the stairs he slipped and skinned his baby toe. fearing that the wails coming from his mouth would wake the sleeping baby, i hustled him into the bathroom promising him a band-aid for his boo boo. "monkey george band aid?" tristan asked. yes, he could have a curious george band-aid. he picked the blue one and i helped him wrap it around his toe and i noticed that his eyes seemed glued to the yellow band-aid. he showed me a 2 day old boo-boo on his knee and i gave in and so the yellow "monkey george" band-aid found a home on his knee. he asked for more and i told him no because he had no more boo-boos. the next thing i knew, he had his big toe in his mouth and was biting down on it pretty hard. before i could ask what he was doing, he pulled it out, pointed to his teeth marks imprinted on it and said "see mommy? boo-boo. more monkey george band-aid?" i laughed, but i did not give in.
* my cousin lisa is going to be visiting us next weekend during her southern california vacation. its always so nice when we get to meet up with family, even if only for a short time. i've heard a rumor that my cousin bonnie and her husband may be spending some time in san diego as well, so it would be great to see them too. cherie and her boyfriend ben just bought tickets to fly down here for a week next month! since our guest room is now officially the baby's room, they're going to set up tents in the backyard and just rough it. i'm really excited to see them and get to know ben a little better.
* it has taken me this long, but i have now officially been sucked into the world of mommy blog giveaways. i think i've entered something like 15 contests in the last few days, hoping for a chance to win some super cute things for my kids. i do think my enthusiasm for this whole new world will wane after a few weeks go by without winning anything, but its free and its worth a shot, right? i limit my contest-entering times to only when i'm nursing samuel. once he's finished eating, i'm done because i know that it could very easily become a huge time suck.
* my mom and sister and i have been skyping lately. the unfortunate thing is we got the web cams and microphones for christmas over 7 months ago from my brother and have only got the whole thing sorted out now! but we love it...and my mom loves to see her grandsons, especially the littlest one who is growing like a weed and seeming to change every day.
* i hesitate to brag too much about my baby's sleeping habits, but OH my WORD i never knew having an infant could be this enjoyable! yesterday he was happily watching his daddy weed in the backyard while sitting in his bouncy seat and i noticed that his eyes were getting a little heavy and his yawns more frequent. i hadn't checked the clock to see what time he woke up from his last nap at, but i thought i'd try just popping him in his bed. and i did just that. brought him upstairs, turned the fan on, swaddled him and by the time i was laying him in his crib, his eyes were just beginning to close. and then i left his room and he slept!! this sort of thing NEVER happened with tristan. i had to watch the clock like a hawk lest he get over tired and have a giant meltdown. even without melting down, he would cry pretty much every time it was time for a nap. i remember going through my day dreading the next time he'd have to go to sleep. this little guy definitely has his "fussy periods" (which are laughable when i compare them to tristan's fussy periods) and he still wakes up once at night to eat, but he is such a dream for the most part that there are times i forget we have a baby in the house! so many people say that the transition from 1 child to 2 is so difficult, but we haven't found it that way at all. and, because we know what it can be like to have a high maintenance baby, we are just so thankful every day to have such a content little boy.
* a friend of ours gave us a costco sized bag of something called blueberry pomegranate trail mix crunch the other day from mareblu naturals. oh my goodness, it is SO tasty! even josh likes it, which says a lot! its super healthy and yummy, the only thing i have to work on is stop eating after i've had a few pieces.
* tristan loves to do "cheers" while clinking his sippy cup with our glasses at dinner time. he loves it so much, in fact, that he now comes up with other ways to do it. i applied a temporary tattoo in the shape of a canadian maple leaf on his arm and he eventually noticed that i have a real maple leaf tattoo on my arm, so we had to bump arms while saying "cheers." he'll do it when he's wearing sunglasses and i'm wearing my glasses. if we both happen to pick up the same item of food off of our plates, we've got to do "cheers." and, just this morning while i was getting ready for church in the bathroom and tristan and samuel were lying next to each other on our bed, i noticed tristan doing "cheers" with his and samuel's toesies.
* i am absolutely, positively SO ready for fall to arrive. i haven't been too fond of summer this year; its definitely not the best season to have a newborn in. the mornings have been cooler lately and i love snuggling samuel up in some of his softest blankets and he loves it too. i'm just looking forward to some rain and the smell of cinnamon scented pine cones in the grocery stores. i'm looking forward to the sun setting a little bit earlier, picking names for christmas and planning out the thanksgiving day menu. we've rearranged the furniture in our tiny living room somewhat and i've already got a spot in mind for our christmas tree. i can't wait to see tristan's excitement over the holidays now that he's old enough to understand and anticipate. our lives are so richly blessed...we have so much to look forward to and so much to hold dear. praise be to God.